Print this page

WILSON BIGAUD

(1931 - )

The great Hector Hyppolite apprenticed this Port-au-Prince native when he was just 15. Wilson Bigaud joined the Centre d’Art in 1946. His massive mural “The Marriage Feast at Cana” in St. Trinity Cathedral is testimony to his naive genius. His work is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modem Art in New York. A series of nervous breakdowns between 1957 and 1961 caused a change in his style. While some collectors prefer Bigaud’s early paintings of family life and leisure, there is no denying his reattainment of previous artistic heights within the 1990s, especially his depictions of voodoo personages and zombies.